Federation of Government College Teachers’ Associations (FEGOCTA), Manipur, is the first apex body of Government College teachers in Manipur on a permanent basis. Manipur is one of the oldest political entities though her status kept changing till it became a state of Indian Union in 1972. For many decades the state has been confronting with multiple challenges of disturbing conditions of education system, armed conflicts, ethnic identity politics, divergent political demands, unsustainable development etc affecting the academic, social, economic and cultural environment. The significance of FEGOCTA lies in its academic and intellectual ventures of organizing Seminars/Conferences and other activities in understanding and resolving social issues. It stands for academic freedom and working together with other stakeholders for excellence in higher education and research. Since its formation FEGOCTA has been in the forefront in dealing with the issues of education particularly higher education, the welfare and dignity of the College Teaching community and committed to contribute to knowledge economy and progress of the state of Manipur and Nation.
Federation of Government College Teachers’ Associations, Manipur (FEGOCTA) was formed on 20th June, 2013 by the initiatives of the leaders of older teachers’ bodies of AMCTA, AMGOCTA and GCTAM. General Body Meeting (GBM) of FEGOCTA held on 31st August, 2013 at G. P. Women’s College, Imphal elected the Office Bearers and gave all the powers and responsibilities to Executive Committee to achieve the objectives of FEGOCTA.
The objectives of FEGOCTA are
1. To raise the standards and quality in higher education relevant to the changing society
2. To work for the solidarity, dignity and integrity of the teachers and welfare of the college teachers
3. To contribute to knowledge economy and progress of the state of Manipur and nation
4. To strengthen academic freedom of the teachers
5. To maintain peaceful academic atmosphere and protect the academic careers of the students
6. To take up a proactive role in higher education policy making and implementation of National Higher Education Policies both at the national and state levels
7. To perform the moral duties of teachers as academic and intellectual group in understanding and resolving social issues for peaceful environment and collective interests for the present and future generations
8. To work together with the other stakeholders to achieve the above objectives
9. To hold academic Conferences/Seminar/Workshop etc at the International/National/ State levels
10. To associate and collaborate with other teachers’ bodies and government/non-government bodies with similar objectives at the national and international level